Friday 2 November 2007

Rare Hummingbirds of the United States

A list of sightings from the Hummingbird World webpage here

The Green Violet-Ear has been recorded in Texas, Wisconsin and several other states.

The Bahama Woodstar and the Cuban Emerald have occurred in Florida.

In early March 1998 a Violet-Crowned Hummingbird appeared at a feeder in the Lake Jackson area on the North Texas coast.

In November 1997 a Green-Breasted Mango appeared at a feeder in Corpus Christi, Texas. A bird of this species was also seen in Texas in 1992.

The Xantus' Hummingbird has occurred in California and British Columbia.

A Cinnamon Hummingbird has been seen in Arizona.

Arizona also gets annual records of Berylline Hummingbird and White-eared Hummingbird. In many years there is a record or two of Plain-Capped Starthroat.

2 comments:

The Vapour Trailer said...

So Bahama Woodstar and Emerald Green should be band-names, right? The first some kind of reggae-funk outfit maybe. And the last?

Sid Leavitt said...

Dear Cath:

My compliments on your website, which I found through two other fine sites, The Victorian Peeper and then, coincidentally enough, The Vapour Trailer. I administer a website, Readersandwritersblog.com, that promotes good writing, and I'd like to add a link to your site on our blogroll.

When we add a site to our blogroll, I write a post about that site explaining what I like about it.

I'd like to send you a tentative version of what the entry about your site will say. I often revisit the entry for editing before posting, so I like to check with authors about any factual or contextual errors I have made.

However, I can find no email address for you. If you will email me at sidleavitt@yahoo.com, I'd be glad to give you a heads-up on our entry.

I plan the post and the blogroll addition for Nov. 15. If I don't hear from you before then, best regards.

Sid Leavitt